Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Underage Drinking

Teenage drinking - no, underage drinking - is easily one of my top pet peeves. It has gone on forever and will continue to go on forever, and I am aware of that. Having been a coach at the high school level, I have seen kid after kid sign the "No Alcohol" letter before the season starts, and then turn around and throw his/her commitment to his teammates, classmates, coaches, and school right out the window just weeks or days later at some party, or anywhere for that matter. Yes, I know that underage drinking happens with kids of all types, but I want to focus on those that participate in athletics, since that is more of my area.

In high school, we all know how many cliques there are and how athletes are subconsciously set above others for some reason or another, right or wrong. Because of this, athletes have an obligation and are forced to hold the title "role model" especially when it comes to the little kids who go to watch them every Friday night or in the gym or out on the diamond, and that grow up wanting to be "the next so-and-so." Everyone has seen those kids running around. Do today's high-schoolers not know it's not only against school/team policy, but that it is against the law? Someone, please tell me what makes you "cool" by drinking alcohol while under the age of 21. Feel free to share!

Something else that just blows my mind is not only the fact that they break the law and drink while underage and think it's cool, but they post pictures of themselves doing it on Facebook and MySpace. Right now I have a friend on Facebook, an 18-year old 2008 graduate from Orrville High School in Orrville, OH, whose status says "[insert name] is... getting her drankkk on." How dumb and immature can you be? I have seen similar status lines from supposed role models in the area, high school multi-sport athletes who were given a historical and prestigious area scholarship ("Roy Bates Scholarship" for those of you who are from around Wayne County, OH). When I heard who won the awards, I was blown away and thought one of two things was going on. Either 1) The people giving out the scholarships do absolutely no research on the candidates ('cuz believe me, it's not hard to find this evidence) in terms of morals, responsibility, and role model characteristics, or 2) They just flat out don't care.

There is one more group I would like to call out: the parents who knowingly host parties with alcohol for underage kids. What are they thinking? They could get in much more trouble than the kids, and they have so much more responsibility and obligation to do what's right. I was blown away recently when I was attending a party with some of my friends, and high schoolers showed up... young high schoolers... drunk. First of all, why were Freshmen in high school drinking? Second, why were they driving? And third, why in the heck didn't the parents take away their keys?!? Those girls drove home that night, too, but luckily got there safely.

Don't worry, I am not a hypocrite. I have done my part to try to make a difference on this issue. I have been asked many, many times by underage kids (sometimes those whom I coach, and then other friends I have in high school) to buy them alcohol. They pick me because they know I'm a quiet person and normally am a pushover and will do anything for anybody. But this is one thing that I will NEVER do - I will never buy alcohol for an underage kid, and I don't know why anybody would. When I tell them that I'm not going to buy it for them, I give them a lengthy explanation why not before I get off the phone. I will never host a party with alcohol, either, if I know underage kids will be there. And when I do see a friend or high schooler drinking alcohol, I say something (same thing goes for marijuana, which has magically shown up before with teenagers at a party at my house while I was still in high school... that did not go over well, to say the least). Sometimes I say something directly to the person if I know them at all, and other times it's indirect so they can definitely hear me and sense my tone. I have a leadership role and a moral responsibility to stick up for what is right for the kids' sake, and I will continue to do that (but always in the right way, with tact). Am I totally alone on this issue? Because I'll tell you what, it sure feels like I am.

May God continue to bless you.
-Marcum

No comments: