Sunday, July 27, 2008

Taking Ownership of Your Faith

This is something that has been on my heart for quite some time, and I have felt strongly in it ever since I myself left for college in July of 2005. The audience for this message is clear and definite: Men and women of the Christian Faith who are leaving for college either for the first time or any time thereafter. If you fit in that category, this instance of my blog is meant for you.

As many young Christians are, I was born into a Christian family and was brought up in the church. My parents and extended family assisted in my upbringing, and for which I am forever greatful. The one thing they did not prepare or tell me about, though, was the challenges that were laying ahead of me as I left for college in Columbus, Ohio. There are the obvious challenges of going to school somewhere other than your hometown: having the self-discipline to wake up for and go to class every morning, being exposed to a different or at least an intensified/diversified lifestyle, "college life," and all the challanges that go along with those as well as many others. I assumed those and was prepared for those.

But as a college Christian, you are faced with another challenge: not just keeping the Faith you already have while going to school, but taking control and owning that Faith. You no longer have your parents there trying their best to make sure you're home by a decent time Saturday night, waking you up Sunday morning, and ultimately telling/showing you what they wish you to believe. It's all up to you, now. It is now in your hands to 1) Recognize that you do have Faith, 2) Find out exactly what you believe through studying the Scripture, 3) Decide how you plan to maintain and grow in your Faith as we are called to do, and most importantly, 4) Do it.

The one principle that sticks in my mind that I feel obligated to point out is that of Absolute Truth. What is Absolute Truth? It is a rather broad subject, and you can search the internet if you want a more descriptive definition, but here is a brief explanation: Absolutely Truth is based on the belief/evidence that what is said in the Bible is non-wavering and is meant to be followed. Absolute Truth, in the context of which I speak, is not about the core beliefs of Christianity, but more of the building blocks of our moral/ethical decisions and everyday lives. Find the principles set before us by Jesus - what is Right and what is Wrong - and do your best to follow in His footsteps.

With our country and its colleges and universities rapidly turning more liberal every year, we are taught and pressured more than ever to "make up our own beliefs" and decide for ourselves what we think is right or wrong in a way that best benefits us, so we can do what we want to do and not feel bad about it. Absolute Truth essenitally says that it's not up to you to decide what is right and wrong - that God has already decided and told you through His Word. Yes, there is absolute truth; and when you begin to recognize and admit the basics of Absolute Truth, you are on your way to building your Faith with strong, applicable guidelines. Discipline and conviction are two words that also come to mind. You know what discipline is. But conviction is just as important. As described by Dictionary.com, conviction is "a fixed or firm belief;" by "fixed" it means steady and unchanging, and by "firm" it means strong and being self-confident in that belief. Having strong convictions is a positive trait.

I guess I don't know how else to convey this concept to you, so I'll stop at that. I have confidence that if you have read this blog entry and have seriously tried to grasp what I'm trying to say, you will seek me out and talk to me more about it if you feel the need. And be reminded that in no way am I talking down to anybody. That is never the case. This blog entry is just something that I have felt moved to discuss in terms of those of my friends that are heading out to school, and to be used as a form of encouragement for you. I am open to talk any time! Also, ask about Rick Warren's "A Call To Radical Commitment".

May God continue to bless you.
-Marcum

No comments: